Getting A Tax Refund?
Are you getting a tax refund and wondering what to do with that extra cash? Here are some suggestions on how to use your tax refund:
- Ladder Share Certificates with People's Alliance. It works like this: Say you have $2,000 to invest and you purchase four $500 certificates for terms of 3 months, 6 months, 1-year and 18 months. When the first certificate matures you are able to roll it over to an 18-month term, knowing that your 6-month certificate will be maturing in 3 months should you need the funds. By moving your certificate terms up the ladder, you will be able to earn a higher dividend rate without the worry of having your money tied up.
- Open a Credit Builder Loan. If you have credit problems or no credit, it’s a great way to start in the right direction.
- Jump-start your IRA contribution for 2018 or open an IRA.
- Pay down credit card debt.
- Make an extra house payment or pay extra on the principal.
How To Be A Savvy Traveler
Travel can be great, but it can also make you extra vulnerable to identify theft. At PAFCU, we want to make sure our members take extra care when travelling both foreign and domestic. Here’s a few simple ways you can help protect yourself from theft when away from home:
Reduce What You Carry
Before you leave, clean out your purse and/or wallet. Remove all unnecessary cards or items. Carry nothing with your social security number on it and write down which cards you are taking with you in case of theft.
Beware In Tourist Areas
These locations are popular ATM card skimming spots. If you need to use an ATM, take note of the keyboard to make sure no skimming device has been placed over the original keyboard. If something appears out of place, do not use it. Also, make sure that your information can not be seen by others waiting to use the ATM.
Leave Your Checkbook At Home
Your checks show your name, address, bank name, checking account number and routing number – this is an entire “kit” thieves can use to take over your account. In addition, they can forge checks to withdraw money. If you don’t want to use cash or payment cards consider traveler’s checks.
Verify Callers To Your Hotel Room
A common scam involves a call to your hotel room from a “desk clerk”. This person tells you about a problem that requires you to provide your credit card number over the phone. If this happens, hang up and call the front desk yourself to check.
Watch Out When Using Wi-Fi
Airports, hotels and other public places offer Wi-fi for internet access. However Wi-Fi hotspots are often not secure. If you choose to use public Wi-Fi, be very cautious.
- Always manually select network connections and know the exact name of the establishments network
- Never log in or send personal information to unencrypted websites
- Don’t use apps that require personal information
- Always log off an account as soon as you have finished using it
For Members 55 and Older, who have direct deposit of their net pay, social security or pension
Golden Checking Account
No minimum balance, no monthly fee, no per check charge and receive dividends on your average daily balance maintained in the account. You will also receive free check orders of standard PAFCU "ON THE MOVE" Checks.
No service fee for Single-Signature Traveler's Cheques
Receive a .10% higher dividend on the advertised rate for Share Certificates based on the term of the certificate.
ON THE MOVE members can subscribe, at a discounted rate, to Senior News, a monthly newspaper addressing the needs and concerns of mature Long Islanders. To subscribe, contact Senior News at (631) 206-0058.